Online Running Log

 
Topic: bad runner's karma
 
 
 
Author Message
 
  [Posted 1/5/2008 4:19:42 PM]  bad runner's karma

[christyv]


Total posts: 82
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Ok, I guess I deserved it. A couple days ago, I was reading some runner's blog about his experience with nipple chafing. Being a woman and a wearer of a sports bra, this is something that I've never experienced so I had a few chuckles at his expense.

Yesterday morning, I tossed all of my dirty running clothes in the laundry before heading out to run errands. It just so happens that ALL of my running bras were in there. Errands took longer than I expected, so I didn't have time to get the clothes dry in time to meet a friend for our scheduled run. I tried to improvise with a regular bra plus one of my crummy, non-running-worthy sports bras. Turns out, that was a pretty bad idea. Ow, ow, ow...Not enough support plus an underwire equals ruptured blisters that have taught me a painful lesson--no more laughing at the guys when their nips bleed!!

Beware the karma or it'll bite you!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/5/2008 4:26:42 PM]  bad runner's karma

[Hoya]


The Boss

Total posts: 3631
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Welcome to our world!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/5/2008 6:08:01 PM]  bad runner's karma

[esdella]


Total posts: 11
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Ugh! That sounds awful. Thanks for the warning!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/5/2008 8:15:23 PM]  bad runner's karma

[BrewPat]


KWF

Total posts: 6816
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Bloody nipples are a badge of honor! Of course the shower after it hurts like hell.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 11:22:38 AM]  bad runner's karma

[christyv]


Total posts: 82
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

The shower was when I realized the extent of it. Holy cow, that got my attention!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 1:03:27 PM]  bad runner's karma

[raider]


KWF

Total posts: 718
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Bloody nipples are just the beginning of the painful maladies that you can achieve through this hobby, sport, obsession that we share. Before the advent of sport tights and high-tech fabrics, I ran a Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot race. It was 17 degrees with a 30mph headwind for the last three miles. Because I was an experienced and fast racer, I chose running shorts and singlet as my optimum attire for the occasion. The bloody nipples were a given. The penile frostbite was something I didn't expect until I peeled my shorts off afterward, and the skin came off with them. You think bloody nipples hurt? The pain of the humiliation of the emergency room was far worse.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 2:26:58 PM]  bad runner's karma

[JogAddict]


Total posts: 289
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Heck I got a cracked nipple from sand getting in my bikini in Rio De Janeiro (at the beach, you pervs) and well, it got infected. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

So far, I haven't had any nip probs from running BUT I have a minor rash going on with occasional itching and my skin peeling off under my arms (adjacent to my armpits, not my armpits)!!!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 8:19:13 PM]  bad runner's karma

[christyv]


Total posts: 82
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Raider, that even made ME squirm to hear your tale! I can't say that hubby enjoyed my reading of it either. Yee-ouch!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 9:40:48 PM]  bad runner's karma

[D-OH]


Total posts: 182
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

yea well, there is also the pain of one other place where men get chafed that women can never imagine...that is unless they have testicles.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/6/2008 11:36:20 PM]  bad runner's karma

[al bundy]


KWF

Total posts: 3044
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

raider wrote:


Bloody nipples are just the beginning of the painful maladies that you can achieve through this hobby, sport, obsession that we share. Before the advent of sport tights and high-tech fabrics, I ran a Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot race. It was 17 degrees with a 30mph headwind for the last three miles. Because I was an experienced and fast racer, I chose running shorts and singlet as my optimum attire for the occasion. The bloody nipples were a given. The penile frostbite was something I didn't expect until I peeled my shorts off afterward, and the skin came off with them. You think bloody nipples hurt? The pain of the humiliation of the emergency room was far worse.


So basically, you gave yoruself a second circumcision?

Your story is exactly why I still run in tighty whiteys. I once ran in boxers on a very cold day, and the ensuing shower was excruciatingly painful.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/7/2008 11:11:46 AM]  bad runner's karma

[BrewPat]


KWF

Total posts: 6816
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

al bundy wrote:


So basically, you gave yoruself a second circumcision?

Your story is exactly why I still run in tighty whiteys. I once ran in boxers on a very cold day, and the ensuing shower was excruciatingly painful.


I have vowed to never run without skivvies on again. The shower after Boston was horrific. Not as bad as second circumcision, but bad enough.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/7/2008 1:16:51 PM]  bad runner's karma

[raider]


KWF

Total posts: 718
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

I was wearing running shorts, which had a built in brief. But they froze to me from the sweat and snow and ice falling. I don't know that tighty whiteys would have done any good in this case. There were alot of guys in the restroom afterward holding their crotches and complaining. I didn't hear of anyone else having the problem I did, though.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/29/2008 6:08:59 PM]  bad runner's karma

[jping45]


Total posts: 10
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

two words... Body Glide...
I learned that lesson the hard way.....




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 1/30/2008 9:51:00 AM]  bad runner's karma

[Sirbek]


KWF

Total posts: 514
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

raider wrote:


Bloody nipples are just the beginning of the painful maladies that you can achieve through this hobby, sport, obsession that we share. Before the advent of sport tights and high-tech fabrics, I ran a Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot race. It was 17 degrees with a 30mph headwind for the last three miles. Because I was an experienced and fast racer, I chose running shorts and singlet as my optimum attire for the occasion. The bloody nipples were a given. The penile frostbite was something I didn't expect until I peeled my shorts off afterward, and the skin came off with them. You think bloody nipples hurt? The pain of the humiliation of the emergency room was far worse.


Wow...and ouch
thats all I can say.
I've never had it that bad but I've definately had runs that when I got back it hurt like hell. That sucked enough.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 2/3/2008 3:54:57 PM]  bad runner's karma

[unknown]
Total posts: ?
Member undercover.
Member undercover.

 

raider wrote:


I was wearing running shorts, which had a built in brief. But they froze to me from the sweat and snow and ice falling. I don't know that tighty whiteys would have done any good in this case. There were alot of guys in the restroom afterward holding their crotches and complaining. I didn't hear of anyone else having the problem I did, though.


Did your at least win your race?




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 2/3/2008 4:27:47 PM]  bad runner's karma

[Strider]


Total posts: 231
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Body Glide and Wind Briefs. But if you get caught out without protection, be sure to occasionally check your package.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 2/3/2008 6:52:41 PM]  bad runner's karma

[Chuckwood]


Total posts: 1410
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

I had no idea. My hubby runs and has complained about this several times to me, but I kind of just laughed and though he was just trying to find something to complain about. I should be the one that has the right to this complaint!! I didn't know that it was a "real" issue with guys. Quite interesting! I can't say as I have had any issues that I have had to deal with yet, but I am definitely going to make sure I take precautions. I have had to run with less than my favorite sports bras,and also double up on occasions,but I have never had any of these issues. Lucky I guess. Quite an interesting read here...running can't be quite a dangerous sport in so many ways that I could never have imagined. I can't get the emergency room visit scence out of my head...this should make a nice conversation for my run tomorrow. Thanx.:)




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/10/2009 11:13:57 PM]  bad runner's karma

[johnjd_cmu]


Total posts: 159
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

dude that sucks




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/11/2009 1:13:12 AM]  bad runner's karma

[Mad Jaymilton]


Total posts: 2
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

anyone ever just run naked?




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/11/2009 8:31:11 PM]  bad runner's karma

[raider]


KWF

Total posts: 718
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

johnjd_cmu wrote:


dude that sucks


as you can see by the dates, this thread is quite old. The story is much older. I went back through my log. That happened Thanksgiving Day, 1985, before windbriefs and Body Glide were widely available.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 11:16:40 AM]  bad runner's karma

[mattjordan525]


KWF

Total posts: 1154
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Scotch tape cures all




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 11:34:53 AM]  bad runner's karma

[TELEPORTER]


Total posts: 371
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Mmmmm Bloody nips turns me on....




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 11:36:42 AM]  bad runner's karma

[Jim Sure]
Total posts: ?
Member undercover.
Member undercover.

 

TELEPORTER wrote:


Mmmmm Bloody nips turns me on....


can tell your 15...




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 11:38:03 AM]  bad runner's karma

[TELEPORTER]


Total posts: 371
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Jim Sure wrote:


can tell your 15...


15 and a HALF!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 3:52:34 PM]  bad runner's karma

[donmurf]


Total posts: 1136
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

Bloody nipples is a great name for a band.

I've been lucky lately - my nipples have been blood free. The one thing I hate doing is ripping medical tape off my chest after I run.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/13/2009 10:13:36 PM]  bad runner's karma

[dooniexc]


Total posts: 41
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

When the windchill was extreme, we used to refer to it as a "three sock day". That was also before windbriefs, body glide, in fact cotton sweats were in vogue.




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

  [Posted 7/14/2009 12:03:16 PM]  bad runner's karma

[kbusto13]


Total posts: 40
Registered member.
Registered member.

 

christyv wrote:


Ok, I guess I deserved it. A couple days ago, I was reading some runner's blog about his experience with nipple chafing. Being a woman and a wearer of a sports bra, this is something that I've never experienced so I had a few chuckles at his expense.

Yesterday morning, I tossed all of my dirty running clothes in the laundry before heading out to run errands. It just so happens that ALL of my running bras were in there. Errands took longer than I expected, so I didn't have time to get the clothes dry in time to meet a friend for our scheduled run. I tried to improvise with a regular bra plus one of my crummy, non-running-worthy sports bras. Turns out, that was a pretty bad idea. Ow, ow, ow...Not enough support plus an underwire equals ruptured blisters that have taught me a painful lesson--no more laughing at the guys when their nips bleed!!

Beware the karma or it'll bite you!


I feel so sorry for you! I read this forum yesterday... and I thought nothing of it.
I forgot that I was wearing a cotton bra... and sometimes it gives me a rash at the very bottom, so now I have a gash running across where the bottom of the bra runs across my torso....
My nips don't bleed or rash... so I guess I don't have it as bas as some of you!




Reply (you need to log in to reply)

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.