Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: Race Predicition Calculator

[Posted 12/20/2006 4:02:04 PM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[r2web]

Total posts: 45
Registered member.
Registered member.

Something like McMillan - If I run x distance in xx:xx, I should be able to run y distance in yy:yy.

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 12/21/2006 3:42:26 PM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[Hoya]

The Boss

Total posts: 4549
Registered member.
Registered member.

There are a few versions of this type of calculation:
1. Purdy Points
2. VO2 Max
3. Dave Cameron's Model
4. Pete Riegel's Model

Gerry Purdy was the first developer of such a system that was widely used called RunningTrax. Adding any of these systems can be done - here is a site that does a very nice job of this - http://run-down.com/statistics/calc.php

But with any of these systems you have to understand that everyone reacts differently to the many factors that go into a race so man-made formulas can only do so much and converting one race distance time to another distance is not really that valid - but it's fun to look at.

[Posted 12/22/2006 5:32:16 AM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[Brewman]

Total posts: 10
Registered member.
Registered member.

I find the McMillan calculator very accurate - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm - but if you're using it to predict longer races, i.e., a marathon, it assumes that you are actually in marathon shape. The ability to run a 4:30 mile does not necessarily guarantee you can run a 2:31 marathon, but that you have the potential to do so.

[Posted 12/24/2006 12:34:57 PM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[Strider]

Total posts: 236
Registered member.
Registered member.

I just trained and PR'd at the marathon distance. When I plug that number in it seems to calculate a slow 5k time. I wondered if that means that I am faster at shorter distances or whether others also found a similar bias in the calculator. I do understand that it is most accurate when predicting similar distances, but has anyone found it making errors in predicting a 5k time that was too fast based upon a marathon time?
Just curios.
Art

[Posted 12/26/2006 2:52:08 PM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[runningart]

KWF

Total posts: 1202
Registered member.
Registered member.

Marathons and other long races will tend to predict slower because you don't race them as much as 5k races. If you only ran one or two 5k races a year I'd suspect them to be slower. So...if you take a collegiate runner who's run hundreds of 5ks, 10ks, 1500m races, etc and who's been training for these races for the last 8 years then put them through 6 months to a year worth of marathon training you can't expect them to set an "equal" marathon pr. They have 8 years of training focusing on other distances and have run hundreds of much shorter races. Because of that the marathon has quite a large learning curve nowadays...mostly because runners don't run many marathons anymore. Look at Ron Hill, who ran 27:50s for 6 miles in the mid 60s, ran a bunch of marathons in the 2:15-2:20 range before '69, then that year ran sub 2:10 3 or 4 times.

Alan

[Posted 12/26/2006 6:57:29 PM]  Race Predicition Calculator

[joeykrepps]

Total posts: 3
Registered member.
Registered member.

http://run-down.com/statistics/calc.php works pretty well

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.