Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: How do I gain weight while running?

[Posted 7/16/2010 1:51:11 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[mariss627]

Total posts: 4
Registered member.
Registered member.

I need help on gaining weight while continuing to run. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I have tried A LOT of different things but nothing seems to work.

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 7/16/2010 7:38:17 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[BrewPat]

KWF

Total posts: 6936
Registered member.
Registered member.

Eat.

[Posted 7/16/2010 9:56:04 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[cmomrunfast]

Total posts: 544
Registered member.
Registered member.

mariss627 wrote:

I need help on gaining weight while continuing to run. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I have tried A LOT of different things but nothing seems to work.

I've had this problem before too. I kept losing weight and I didn't want to eat unhealthy crap just to gain a few pounds, either.

Drink shakes. I put yogurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and strawberries and bananas and Acai with Almond milk, or a nice juice. Most people would probably recommend some protein powder, but I hate the taste. Also, you might want to talk to someone who knows a lot about food... like a nutritionist or a health counselor... the latter will learn about your health history and know what foods are best for you.

Also, you might want to look at your training too. Ask yourself if it's too much.

[Posted 7/16/2010 10:35:08 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[Postel]

Total posts: 17
Registered member.
Registered member.

Drink 2 gallons of whole milk a day for a month and see what happens... or try a protein shake before bed every night. I did a combination of both and gained 9lbs in less than 3 months and I'm tall and skinny- might work for you too.

[Posted 7/16/2010 10:48:40 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[BCushman]

Total posts: 7
Registered member.
Registered member.

If you're running a lot of mileage then it's going to be really tough to gain anything, muscle or fat. A couple things I would do would be

lifting weights: low reps heavy weights,
ALWAYS eating immediately after exercising to prevent you're body from breaking down muscle for fuel,
drinking a casein protein shake right before bed as you go the longest period without food during sleep and casein is a slow digesting protein source (I can do this and have no trouble falling asleep, it depends on the person tho),
drinking whey protein shakes immediately upon waking up (within 15 minutes) or at least eating something to take you're body out of it's catabolic state,
eat consistently trying not to go without eating for longer than 3 or 4 hours (not including sleep),
and try taking something like glutamine as it has been shown to prevent muscle breakdown from exercise

...creatine will add weight as well but it's mainly water weight and it can cause dehydration which with this hot summer is probably too risky for runners

[Posted 7/16/2010 11:40:03 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[Claunchianity]

The Magician

Total posts: 876
Registered member.
Registered member.

Where the hell is runningart when you need him?

[Posted 7/16/2010 11:42:17 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[DubbsAte]

Total posts: 3058
Registered member.
Registered member.

Claunchianity wrote:

Where the hell is runningart when you need him?

that was very funny actually.

...claps...

[Posted 7/16/2010 8:26:59 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[Chuck U. Farley]

Total posts: 258
Registered member.
Registered member.

If you're trying to gain muscle, keep up the weight lifting and eat a truck load. Eat often, never let yourself get hungry. Good quality protein, good complex carbs, dairy, fruits, veggies, usual good stuff. Try lots of the really calorie dense stuff like mixed nuts, raisins, natural peanut butter. Moderate amounts of cheese are good too. Stay away from too much of the junk. Provides calories but also lots of preservatives, artery clogging bad fats, toxic additives, etc. If you're trying to gain some fat because you're body fat is getting to an unhealthy low level try all the above minus the lifting, (since it boosts metabolism) plus a big snack right before bed. Helps promote fat storage. Can't see your mileage but maybe you need to back it off some. If you're losing weight really quickly it sometimes means you're over training.

[Posted 7/17/2010 5:17:07 AM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[Dono]

Total posts: 375
Registered member.
Registered member.

mariss627 wrote:

Drink beer.

[Posted 7/17/2010 1:01:58 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[BrewPat]

KWF

Total posts: 6936
Registered member.
Registered member.

mariss627 wrote:

Get married. That seems to fatten most chicks up.

[Posted 7/17/2010 3:02:53 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[runningart]

KWF

Total posts: 1202
Registered member.
Registered member.

Eat every 2-3 hours.

Consume 1g of protein per lb bw.

Maintain high carbs low fat.

Examples:

1. 4-8oz steak, veggies, 1/2c rice
2. 4-8oz chicken breast, veggies, sweet potato
3. 1 cup cottage cheese, can of tuna, celery
4. 1 cup oatmeal, banana

Endless examples.

JUST EAT!

[Posted 7/17/2010 3:20:58 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[billbradski]

Total posts: 478
Registered member.
Registered member.

runningart wrote:

Eat every 2-3 hours.

Consume 1g of protein per lb bw.

Maintain high carbs low fat.

Examples:

1. 4-8oz steak, veggies, 1/2c rice
2. 4-8oz chicken breast, veggies, sweet potato
3. 1 cup cottage cheese, can of tuna, celery
4. 1 cup oatmeal, banana

Endless examples.

JUST EAT!

How the crap can you expect someone to carry around that much food on a run? I think the best way to gain weight while you run would be to drink too much fluid or maybe even strap weights to a belt every mile or so. If you did a 10-15 mile run you could gain lots of weight that way.

You may want to ask yourself why you're even trying to gain weight while you're running anyways; seems like a lot of work. From my experience it's a lot easier to gain weight while you're sitting around, or even doing less rigorous exercise like playing washers or doing jumping jacks. I'd say do your run, but then come home and bomb a pizza or two and play PS3 all day. But hey, sounds like you're up for a challenge so have at it!

[Posted 7/17/2010 9:57:34 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[mariss627]

Total posts: 4
Registered member.
Registered member.

cmomrunfast wrote:

I've had this problem before too. I kept losing weight and I didn't want to eat unhealthy crap just to gain a few pounds, either.

Drink shakes. I put yogurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and strawberries and bananas and Acai with Almond milk, or a nice juice. Most people would probably recommend some protein powder, but I hate the taste. Also, you might want to talk to someone who knows a lot about food... like a nutritionist or a health counselor... the latter will learn about your health history and know what foods are best for you.

Also, you might want to look at your training too. Ask yourself if it's too much.

Yes, exactly! I want to be able to gain the weight by not just eating junk food all the time. I've been trying different protein shakes but idk if any of them rly work. I will defn try your shake! Sounds much tastier!

[Posted 7/18/2010 1:06:28 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[Keaton]

Total posts: 1
Registered member.
Registered member.

well duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[Posted 7/18/2010 1:24:04 PM]  How do I gain weight while running?

[runningart]

KWF

Total posts: 1202
Registered member.
Registered member.

In a general sense: Eat more than your body needs = put on weight. If this excess food is quality food (meats, veggies, fruits, natural carbs such as potatoes) then this weight gain will be mostly muscle instead of fat PROVIDED you are also strength training. Just eating more food without the stimilus needed to gain muscle you'll just end up gaining useless fat.

No Equipment Needed

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

Pushups: As many sets as it takes to reach 100-200
Pullups: Find some monkey bars or a low heavy branch. As many sets as it takes to reach 50-100
Leg Crank: 12-25 of each no to little rest: Squat, Lunge (left is 1, right is 2, etc), Jump Lunge, Jump Squat. Focus on full range of motion and form. Keep hands behind your head. Look forward/up NOT down.

Consume protein 1-2g per pound. If you have trouble gaining weight I'd shoot for the excessive 2g per lb.

4-6 x a day: 4-8oz beef/poulry/fish, 1/2-2c rice or 1 potato or sweet potato or 1-2 fruit, plus green veggies

If you're still having trouble putting on weight, add 2TB natural peanut butter to every other meal. You will learn to hate it...but it's calorie dense. Almond butter works as well.

Alan

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.