Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[Posted 3/12/2013 2:51:10 PM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[meilib30]

Total posts: 25
Registered member.
Registered member.

I've had a consistent routine of working out (usually running followed by weight lifting and stretching) first thing in the morning.  This is the time (7am -10am) when I have the most free time, and I love to start my day off with a workout and a relaxed breakfast.

Of late, however, I've been reading that exercise before breakfast may yield very little benefit and may even be detrimental to muscle building.  I really want to increase my running speed along with muscle size and strength.

So this really boils down to: Is it futile to work out before eating?  Does anyone else work out early with positive (visible) results?

Thanks!

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 3/12/2013 2:58:54 PM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[RyanTheJogger]

Total posts: 235
Registered member.
Registered member.

I don't know about effecting the benefits of working out, however, you might want to eat something before working out. It could help you feel better during the workout so you could get more out of it.

Doesn't have to be a 4 course meal. Granola and an apple would do. Hell, just take your supplements. Just get something in your before you work out in the morning!

[Posted 3/12/2013 3:06:47 PM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[stopcecil!]

Total posts: 815
Registered member.
Registered member.

No clue as the validity behind that claim but I know if I run without eating anything I feel like complete s**t within two miles.

[Posted 3/12/2013 7:09:50 PM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[bertharrison]

Total posts: 297
Registered member.
Registered member.

If you're looking for hypertrophy, you might want to try separating your aerobic workouts and your strength training workouts. Some evidence suggests endurance training may inhibit hypertrophy.

As for nutrition: For hypertrophy, eat before and after working out. Working out after an overnight fast means liver glycogen stores are going to be low (muscle glycogen won't be affected). But with prolonged and/or vigorous exercise muscle glycogen depletion will occur. Then breakdown of muscle tissue occurs to provide amino acids to create glucose.

If you were one of my athletes, with the goal of "increasing size and strength," I'd advise you to eat something that is easy to digest in the morning before working out -- a banana and juice, sports drink and toast, oatmeal and yogurt, granola and milk... etc.

Then of course, consuming more carbs and protein afterwards helps to provide amino acids for new protein synthesis and glucose to restock glycogen stores for your next training session.

[Posted 3/13/2013 8:55:58 AM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[marylandexc]

KWF

Total posts: 3719
Registered member.
Registered member.

This is one of those topics you hear in a study that just boils down to common sense.

If I am going out for a 30 minute easy run in the morning, not a problem to skip breakfast and just eat when I get home. If it's over an hour, I'm probably going to be feeling it by the end if I don't eat, but as long as it's not a hard run, I can deal. If I'm doing my long run, gotta eat something.

Of course, eat too much and you might feel bad in the opposite direction, have bowel issues, feel bloated, etc.

So think about the workouts that you're doing and find an appropriate middle ground. Something light, something with some protein, something that helps wake you up so you can be on point = probably a good idea.

[Posted 4/19/2013 1:23:54 PM]  Morning Workouts / Nutrition

[BrewCitySteve]

Total posts: 2
Registered member.
Registered member.

I have been doing my running and weights in the early morning hours for decades. No issues. My normal run is a 10 miler, sometimes more if training for a marathon. Weights are 3 x a week either after run or sole if running off day. The only thing I consume is a large glass of water and if I feel hungry I have some berries. Once in a great while I have a banana. Everything else seems to interfere with my run. Not so much with just weights. I feel that my results are very positive. When training for a marathon doing long distances I carry some sort of fuel, such as GU, homemade energy cookies. I have even tried dried plums(prunes) with good results. I would experiment with different types of food in small amounts, but mostly just be happy getting the workouts completed. Results will follow. Good Luck.

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.