Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: Necessity To Be In Caloric Deficit?

[Posted 12/20/2016 2:37:02 AM]  Necessity To Be In Caloric Deficit?

[Spencer_Sprague]

Total posts: 20
Registered member.
Registered member.

Hi Running2Win,

I'm a 16-year old sophomore and I want to do well for Track (specifically the 800 meters, it's what I've been able to outshine others in). Anyways, I've been staying a lot more consistent with my mileage which is a good thing, and I've been doing 2-3 weightlifting sessions a week, but I haven't really been losing the last 10 pounds of fat that I've been carrying around with me. I am still a fast runner, but I know I could just be a lot better if I could rid myself of the last bit of belly fat that's holding me back from being my best.

So I've begun to go into a caloric deficit for about a week now, and I've already lost about 6-7 pounds but I feel like most of it is from water retention. I haven't felt weak or seen my muscles begin to deteriorate at all (which if I do I will stop this method of eating), but I haven't really seen my fatty-areas go down either. 

My question is, what is going to burn the last bits of fat? I'm not eating bad, I'm working out, and for the most part getting good enough sleep. Will a caloric deficit help? Before this I would usually eat around 2,600 calories a day, right now I'm eating 1,800-2,000 a day but I still feel okay. Anyways, anyone that is credible in this field, I would love your input. Thank you very much! 

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 12/21/2016 6:16:45 PM]  Necessity To Be In Caloric Deficit?

[Matt Goddard23]

Total posts: 5
Registered member.
Registered member.

Hey buddy, I know exactly where you are at right now. I was in the same shoes as you my Freshman and Sophomore year.

I know this might sounds crazy to you but just chill. You're growing and the last thing you need is some cut out of your diet, especially since all of the hard work you are putting in. Your body needs all the calories due to you burning them off.

Quit this caloric deficit and resume back to eating normally. If you are eating healthy you WILL be fine. Eat as much as you desire, because us "runners" tend to have an empty stomach... This caloric deficit that you planned out may work for others but I want you to know that it does not work out for everyone. In most cases, this only leads to being burnt out. You may feel great right now with everything that is planned for your diet and exercising, however, in the long run (no pun intended), you will most likely peak at your best performance in the beginning of the season and get burnt out towards the middle to the end of the season. This will cause frustration and confusion for you because you have been working so hard, but in reality you actually have to WORK SMART.. And that is where I messed up at.

I still am struggling with this worrying about how much I eat and the intensity of my work outs because i feel like I "will not get better". But just remember this, "moderation is the key", and also, "YOU run the miles, don't let the MILES run you."

[Posted 12/21/2016 6:36:44 PM]  Necessity To Be In Caloric Deficit?

[Spencer_Sprague]

Total posts: 20
Registered member.
Registered member.

Matt Goddard23 wrote:

Hey buddy, I know exactly where you are at right now. I was in the same shoes as you my Freshman and Sophomore year.

I know this might sounds crazy to you but just chill. You're growing and the last thing you need is some cut out of your diet, especially since all of the hard work you are putting in. Your body needs all the calories due to you burning them off.

Quit this caloric deficit and resume back to eating normally. If you are eating healthy you WILL be fine. Eat as much as you desire, because us "runners" tend to have an empty stomach... This caloric deficit that you planned out may work for others but I want you to know that it does not work out for everyone. In most cases, this only leads to being burnt out. You may feel great right now with everything that is planned for your diet and exercising, however, in the long run (no pun intended), you will most likely peak at your best performance in the beginning of the season and get burnt out towards the middle to the end of the season. This will cause frustration and confusion for you because you have been working so hard, but in reality you actually have to WORK SMART.. And that is where I messed up at.

I still am struggling with this worrying about how much I eat and the intensity of my work outs because i feel like I "will not get better". But just remember this, "moderation is the key", and also, "YOU run the miles, don't let the MILES run you."

I truly appreciate this, thank you for your feedback. Now that I put more thought into it, you're right that I don't need to be restrictive with my eating. Sure I won't excessively stuff myself, but I'll give my body the nutrition I really need. As long as I'm eating healthy, all should be well. Thanks again :) 

[Posted 12/26/2016 5:44:53 PM]  Necessity To Be In Caloric Deficit?

[BenDiamond]

Total posts: 16
Registered member.
Registered member.

Eat as much as you need but eat healthy foods. Eat at the right times too, big breakfast, big lunch, medium dinner. 

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.