Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: High Carb vs High Fat?

[Posted 5/16/2017 9:26:09 PM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[Spencer_Sprague]

Total posts: 20
Registered member.
Registered member.

I'm curious as to what you all think about high carb diets, and high fat. Personally, I think that high carb diets would be better for runners, but there's also a lot of people that say that high fat diets are better for you as they help you burn off more fat. Zach Bitter (100 mile WR holder) says that he loves the ketogenic diet (high fat), whereas elite Kenyan distance runners consume around 600g of carbs every day.

Personally, I just want to lose some uneeded weight for cross country season while still feeling strong on my runs this Summer. If I'm going to go on a high fat diet, would I still have enough energy to workout everyday with the absence of carbohydrates, or if I go on a high carb diet, will I still be able to burn fat when there is still insulin in my blood stream?

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 5/17/2017 10:31:43 AM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[BenDiamond]

Total posts: 16
Registered member.
Registered member.

CARBS

[Posted 5/18/2017 6:31:00 AM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[Dirt]

Total posts: 39
Registered member.
Registered member.

Eat carbs. Any serious athlete that tells you they are ketogenic, Paleo, whatever is lying. Zach Bitter also runs slow. If your goal is to run fast, eat carbs. The reality of entry contribution is you are always burning carbs and fat while running.

Caloric intake is the single largest contributor to fat loss or fat gain. Eat what you need from high quality food sources and you are fine. Get carbs from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy. Not from white bread, white bagels, refined sugar, etc.

How much do you run per week? Try cycling carbs if it's not a lot. Meaning if you run first thing in the morning balanced meals with carbs until dinner, less carbs and more fat at dinner. If you run in the afternoon, more fat and less carbs in the morning and less fat more carbs at dinner after the run.

Never run on an empty stomach if running hard or long.

[Posted 5/18/2017 11:04:29 PM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[Spencer_Sprague]

Total posts: 20
Registered member.
Registered member.

Dirt wrote:

Eat carbs. Any serious athlete that tells you they are ketogenic, Paleo, whatever is lying. Zach Bitter also runs slow. If your goal is to run fast, eat carbs. The reality of entry contribution is you are always burning carbs and fat while running.

Caloric intake is the single largest contributor to fat loss or fat gain. Eat what you need from high quality food sources and you are fine. Get carbs from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy. Not from white bread, white bagels, refined sugar, etc.

How much do you run per week? Try cycling carbs if it's not a lot. Meaning if you run first thing in the morning balanced meals with carbs until dinner, less carbs and more fat at dinner. If you run in the afternoon, more fat and less carbs in the morning and less fat more carbs at dinner after the run.

Never run on an empty stomach if running hard or long.

Thank you so much

[Posted 5/19/2017 9:57:20 PM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[SpeedyGonzo]

Total posts: 108
Registered member.
Registered member.

Zach Bitter is legendary  ( also a D3 athlete from UWSP back in the day ).  I degress... You dont need to cut carbs... and you dont need to lose weight.  Unless you're like 50lbs overweight than normal.  CARBS ARE YOUR FRIEND.

[Posted 5/29/2017 3:25:42 PM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[jnaizer84]

Total posts: 3
Registered member.
Registered member.

Spencer_Sprague wrote:

Thank you so much

I agree completely. However I have found personally that if I eat a lot of fat with a decent amount of carbs I run way better and feel faster and stronger. I would have to say it's different for every runner. Anyways carbs and fats are both very important for running and eating a lot of both I would have to say is best. For me, eating a salad with a lot of olive oil helps me gain the fats I need.

Thanks

[Posted 5/30/2017 4:46:15 PM]  High Carb vs High Fat?

[Ciel_Alois]

Total posts: 27
Registered member.
Registered member.

Spencer_Sprague wrote:

I'm curious as to what you all think about high carb diets, and high fat. Personally, I think that high carb diets would be better for runners, but there's also a lot of people that say that high fat diets are better for you as they help you burn off more fat. Zach Bitter (100 mile WR holder) says that he loves the ketogenic diet (high fat), whereas elite Kenyan distance runners consume around 600g of carbs every day.

Personally, I just want to lose some uneeded weight for cross country season while still feeling strong on my runs this Summer. If I'm going to go on a high fat diet, would I still have enough energy to workout everyday with the absence of carbohydrates, or if I go on a high carb diet, will I still be able to burn fat when there is still insulin in my blood stream?

I say carbs...but DONT Carbo-load. It's not necessary. winksmiley

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.