Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: Weight for a runner

[Posted 2/6/2019 9:21:33 AM]  Weight for a runner

[Bhmartin]

Total posts: 1
Registered member.
Registered member.

I am 14 and 85 pounds. That is the low 2% weight area for my age. I was wondering if this is okay since aim a runner, or should i try to gain wieght. Iím thinking i need to gain wieght in the form of muscle as i continue to train more but i was just wanting to hear your thoughts. Should i try to eat more?

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 2/6/2019 12:24:03 PM]  Weight for a runner

[lauing]

Total posts: 62
Registered member.
Registered member.

That's almost impossible to answer on an internet forum with so little information. However, the very simple answer is probably "no."

You will naturally gain muscle weight if your body determines it's necessary for the speeds (additional physical stress you put on your body) you're running. To do this, your brain may increase your appetite noticeably. Just eat until you're full - there's no need to drown yourself in protein or calories.

If you can handle the training your coach gives, you're eating plenty, so stop worrying about it. This is not to say that if you cannot handle the training, eating more is the answer. Good luck.

[Posted 2/6/2019 5:11:23 PM]  Weight for a runner

[AjSquaredXC]

Total posts: 44
Registered member.
Registered member.

I'm 14 now too, 5'7" and 100ish pounds, but I was in the 2nd or 3rd% in 6th grade, I think. I don't think that you're at all unhealthy- I was in pretty good shape back then and never got really sick/injured. Even if you're hyper-flexible and sprightly as an elf I would suggest doing some strength and mobility routines, because when I tried to seriously raise my mileage the next year I damaged the connective tissue in my knee and couldn't run for a month, and I strongly believe that was because I wasn't eating enough and wasn't working on mobility and range of motion. I know a lot of people that like the Jay Johnson stuff on youtube (SAM), and I use his "myrtl" routine, but my personal go-to is Jay Dicharry's book Running Rewired. I'd suggest checking it out should you want to get more serious about training in the future.

I haven't been injured since then (14 months and counting), but I did naturally put on muscle in the hips, quads, and hamstrings and am now at a more normal weight- not that that's a benefit in it of itself. As long as you're healthy, not calorie deficient, and you don't feel like a stiff old man, your weight will stabilize at whatever is best for you. Hope I could help.

[Posted 2/6/2019 7:27:03 PM]  Weight for a runner

[BenTheBear]

Total posts: 1
Registered member.
Registered member.

Myself as a 5' 6" and fairly new runner I'd like to think that I'm in pretty good shape, as far as long distance runners go I'm on the stronger side of the muscle chart(I probably like weight lifting too much, but that isn't a bad thing). If you could I think it would help to gain some more muscle (especially in the legs as that is very important to runners), but not so much that it impedes flexibility or adds unneeded weight. If you can function the way you are I'd also say keep going on the way things are, you'll get there through the one path they are cuurently teaching us. Determination. If you so wish to gain more muscle it isn't going to be easy and frankly for some workouts you have to love it or hate it. If the burn of weight-lifting is addicting, keep going, but make sure to keep running(this is probably more important than the weight lifting part, as far as I know). Anywho, keep on grinding out those miles and #BringTheHammer as our track coach says. Good luck. 

[Posted 2/7/2019 4:15:05 PM]  Weight for a runner

[iburt2020]

Total posts: 11
Registered member.
Registered member.

I was the same way my freshman year. It's not that abnormal, it's just our body type. Depending on your height, you'll probably grow a lot between now and junior year, and naturally gain weight. However, make sure you're eating enough so you don't lose weight. I suggest Carnation Breakfast drinks (ones with extra protein maybe); those got me through that first year and I still drink them after runs. Refer to the forum topic "Gaining Weight" from a couple weeks ago... I had some of the same questions you do.

[Posted 2/23/2019 12:36:34 PM]  Weight for a runner

[AWALDROP1]

Total posts: 2
Registered member.
Registered member.

I run after work and am 160 LB. I run faster than when I was 120 LB. Its really about your age, if you are growing, and your health. If you are healthy and feel good, it has little impact. Your body will adjust its weight as it gets in shape. After 12 years of competitive running, my body weight fluctuates 10 pounds or so from base training to peak. Just run. You will do great. We are all differeny.

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.