Running 2 Win

Running2Win - forums

Topic: Post Marathon Nutrition

[Posted 4/3/2008 7:51:04 PM]  Post Marathon Nutrition

[Abolyen]

Total posts: 44
Registered member.
Registered member.

After running my first marathon in january, I found it REALLY hard to cut back on the meals once I was no longer doing all the miles per week needed to train for the run. I had cut back on my weekly mileage but not the food! Here I am in April and finally I am back on track and the weight is coming off again but as my goal is to run another marathon in January I would like to do it better next time.
Any one else have a similar experience? I am generally very self disciplined when it comes to food but that all seemed to go out the window in the post marathon "slump" At 44 my preferred "fighting" weight is 130# (at 5'3" I think thats a comfortable weight for me) so right now I am only 5# off that.

Reply (you need to log in to reply)

[Posted 4/4/2008 1:20:18 AM]  Post Marathon Nutrition

[al bundy]

KWF

Total posts: 3044
Registered member.
Registered member.

I'm good for a 5 lb. gain the week after a marathon. I never minded it much since I'm skinny, and the extra weight always helped me lift a little better at the weightroom.

[Posted 4/4/2008 12:39:55 PM]  Post Marathon Nutrition

[]

KWF

Total posts: 0
Registered member.
Registered member.

Your experience sounds pretty normal to me. I know it seems like the extra weight means you have further to go to get back to race shape, but I think it's just a natural part of the recovery process. I try to stay in an 7-8 lb range; 168 going into the prerace taper - not more than ~170 on race day, and not more than ~175 as I start to ramp back up for the next race. For me, it's a few less cookies... Frosties... or beers, if I need to get back control while I'm recovering.

Being an engineer, I sometimes think in terms of horsepower (pounds x feet/second) and think I could be fast again if I could only get back to the 155 I once was... but, at 49, that ain't happening... so I try not to worry.

So, my advice... don't you worry... accept a range and just be healthy.

[Posted 4/5/2008 3:25:26 PM]  Post Marathon Nutrition

[Abolyen]

Total posts: 44
Registered member.
Registered member.

Thats reasuring. Thanks for the input

home  |  back to forum list    Search the forums.